Short Guide to Essential Oils & Arthritis
PURE Living Magazine's article by Sheila McGuinness looked at five useful Essential Oils: This month, Bones and Arthritis.
As we get older our bones start to become fragile which can lead to Osteoporosis. There are medications for this but the side effects are scary. We also can develop arthritis as we age. You may not think of essential oils as a go-to for helping slow down the production of bone loss, but there’s been some research to show that they can help. Here are the top five I would suggest:
1. Wintergreen– this acts as an analgesic to reduce the pain you may experience with bone issues. It’s a well-known oil for promoting strong healthy bones and the scent itself is very uplifting
2. Cypress-is a wonderful grounding oil. It also helps to stimulate the circulatory system and helps to remove toxins from our body. It is used in many blends to help treat muscle cramps and used topically over areas where you may have arthritis.
3. Helichrysum-this oil, although very expensive, is one of the best oils to have on hand. It’s a strong anti-inflammatory and relieves so many of the aches and pains of bone issues ( I mix with oregano essential oil to make a compress).
4. Krill essential oil-no only helps with pain but this oil contains Omega-3s which helps in the maintenance of your joints and could possibly help heal cracks in your bones.
5. OK, this is actually a mix of oils that you can mix up and have on hand to rub on the areas of bone pain, and the smell of this is WONDERFUL! Take five drops of ylang-ylang, five drops of geranium, four drops of lemongrass, and four drops of Roman chamomile to a carrier oil (I love avocado oil for this mix). Rub up to three times a day on the affected area.
These are just a few of my favorite oils, but there are many more that can help with the pain of bone issues. Maybe try a blend of all these and see what works the best for you and your pain. Eat right, quit smoking, and move your body! Stay Natural!